Wednesday, April 14, 2010

potato cake

I had surgery to remove my wisdom teeth a few days ago so it has been quite a bit difficult to chew my food. Basically anything that is mush or juices are all I can eat, so I'm really craving some hard foods. But since I cannot get that right now, and I've run out of fresh fruits for the juicer, I have to think creatively to keep it interesting.

Ry baked up some nice sweet potatoes the other day and mashed some of them up for me with some smart balance, which started my wheels a'turnin. I remembered back to high school German class where Frau Rogers fried up these tasty potato cakes and we put some apple sauce on top of them. I remember them being sehr sehr gut! Since then I have spent some time in Sverige and have eaten many a potato!

This time I am out of applesauce so I'll make it a little more savory.

-image-
Savory Potato Cake
what's in it?
- New Red Potato
- Smart Balance Soy Garden Butter
- Chives
- Garlic
- Rosemary
- Real Salt

how did this happen?
- Bake the Potato wrapped in foil in the oven around 425 degrees for somewhere over a half an hour until a fork slides into it easily.
- Mash it up with a spoon full of Butter, some diced up chives and garlic, a four finger pinch of rosemary, and a three finger pinch of salt.
- Fry it up in some butter on medium-highish heat until browned on both sides.

1 comment:

  1. Potato cake is actually an old swedish meal, of course.
    It's called RÃ¥raka over there, and can be done in many variations. Sounds, and looks like a good one above.

    ReplyDelete